Summer is finally here! For many of us that means BBQ’s, pool parties, sports, and spending more time with family and friends. With so many activities going on, it’s easy to lose sight of our nutrition, so here are some simple tips to keep you happy and healthy this summer:
- Drink plenty of water! It will keep you well-hydrated in the summer heat and may also prevent you from overeating.
- Choose vegetables first at your meals. Filling up on fiber can help you feel fuller and will make you less likely to overeat and fill up on junk food.
- Eat fruit for dessert instead of sugary sweets like cake, cookies, ice cream, etc.
- Choose grilled foods over fried foods.
- Remove the skin from chicken when BBQing and choose leaner cuts of meat.
- Stay active! Summer=sunshine, so do more outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming, playing at the park, etc. Just don’t forget that sunscreen!